Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Off the rails!!!!!!!!!!!!

We're here in Fairbanks Alaska. Wow, doesn't that sound fancy?

What else happened this morning? Mmmmmmmm, let me see.

After the Breakfast Fiasco, not to be confused with a Breakfast Fiesta, we headed in many different directions. Some to the shops........ yes, to the shops. I can't keep them away.

12noonish, most of us were on the bus heading to see the Jeff King Husky Homestead. Jeff is the guy that has won the Iditarod Sled Race four times. He came second this year, but just one hour. You may have read about it.

Anyhow, we got to hold cute little husky pups. I had my neck laundered by one of them No accidents though. Then we were educated about the breed, their habits and the mysteries of huskies. These dogs were all lean machines, much like heading eye dogs. Not the fluffy big beasts we tend to imagine. Currently they have 90 dogs, including the pups. All well housed and tethered. They have a food bowl on one side of their house and a water bucket on the other.

Five of the dogs were teamed up with a quad bike and off they went for a training run, this is not a just for show thing, they were heading out on a regular training run. What a racket while all the other dogs pleaded to be able to go too. Soon as the team were out of sight the barking stopped and they all sat or laid down again.

Then we had the opportunity to meet with Jeff King. Much smaller in stature than I had imagined. In my mind he was 6' 4", grizzly bear build. Wrong! He's a regular guy about 5' 8".

What a pleasure to listen to someone so passionate about his way of life and his dogs. The atmosphere of the race start in March is evidently 'electric'. 11 days of 6 hours mushing, 6 hours of dog resting (Jeff gets less than one & half hours rest each time) until they reach Nome.

Can you tell that I really enjoyed this activity. Barney, I have a signed book for you. No starting this one at the last page to see if you like it!

4pm ----- down at the station! The 4 hours trip turned into a 5 hour trip, BUT... (fanfare) we saw several moose. Yes, several. We were beginning o think that they were only on posters and t-shirts. We also saw the odd arctic hare, 2 caribou, several white swans and a sparrow. Oh, and a red setter.

Fairbanks looks like a real city. It has really surprised me.

Tomorrow my friend Colleen is meeting us at 8am and she will be spending two days with us, showing the sights of the area.

Till then, that's it from me and that's it from them!

6 comments:

Bronnie said...

Hi all, (especially Mum, Jenny D)
Sounds like the trip is turning out to be everything you thought it would... and even more. Got your second postcard yesterday. Jack used it for his reading homework. Foundations getting ready to be poured for house. Frames up by the time you get home we have been told! Work in Auckland was heavy duty but very good. Worked with guy from Australia, very much a guru and fabulous at his job. Enjoy the last few days of your holiday. (Keep buying shoes!)

Love Bronnie

shedpsines said...

Hi Zena and Merlyn
Sounds like a ripper tour, boy are we going to hear some stories when you get home. So pleased to hear all is going well!!! Talked to Jim other day, he doing fine so just keep on shopping, he won't let you go away again. Keep having fun.
Love
Shed of Whitiaga

Meryl said...

Hi Zena
Carol forwarded the link to this site to me today and I've enjoyed catching up with your travels. It sounds as if you are having a wonderful time and I'm very envious when I hear all those beautiful places mentioned again. Hope you've taken lots of photos (and bought lots of goodies). Many thanks for the postcard. See you soon.

Love Meryl

George and Jenny said...

Hi all,It sounds like you enjoyed the dogs Debs you can not bring one home.
I know you would have liked to I bet.
Tess and Pepe have a play every morning .Flyn looks on and thinks Silly dogs. We are still having good weather it hasn't rained like it was going to but looks like it will on Sunday.You will come home to wet weather and colder than it has been.
Still have no frosts but down to 1 degree in the morning.Flyn is not too popular at the moment- he has taught Pepe how to jump up on the fish pond surrounds ! Chased a cat up yesterday several times & now quick thinking Pepe thinks boy this is great & goes up when he thinks we are not looking! Enjoy your last few days in Fairbanks - you'll soon be on the plane home.
Lots of love Jenny & George

KyleGeorgeMunden said...

Hello Granny & Aunty Merlyn, I so miss you Granny and I cant wait till you get home. I would like egg on toast with you for breakfast, Mum has tried to make it like you do but its not quite the same. It will be the very best birthday present ever having you come home to make my cake, and on my birthday too. I got the postcards you sent and Mum reads them to me, Ashlee slept with hers. I have decided Granny that seeing as I miss you so much that you are never allowed to go away again, unless Im going too. Love Kyle George Munden

Jan B said...

Hi Heather & Alison.
What a great time you are all having. The little hic-cups are all part of travelling and just add to the day. Did you see the Northern Lights.. I guess we will be seeing you soon. Have you met Mrs Claus yet. Jan B