Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Not Men in Trees, but Quilters in Alaska

Today, our first ‘port’ day, was in Ketchikan. I looks just like ….., well, it looks just like Alaska. What’s that TV program? Well anyway, it looks like that. Most of the houses and buildings we saw today were wooden, painted blue, pink, green, red/brown, allsorts. There is really only a strip of buildings on each side of one street and then a few tucked up on the hills.

When I woke up this morning I thought things were very calm, opened the curtains and there were buildings, next thing a wharf appeared. But, what’s that up front, three other cruise liners and two of them BIGGER than us. We are on a modest vessel – not too big, not too small. Just like Goldilocks!

I had a view of the bridge and the Captain supervising things. Still took two goes to get the rope over the ‘sticky-uppy-thing’ that they tie up to. My brother the sailor will have a fit when he gets to read this.

Ketchican is bigger than I had expected, with a permanent population of 15,000. Lots & lots of jewellery stores, and I mean lots & lots. There’s the tourist part, then there’s the real part. Guess where we went? Well at least we saw the real bit as we sailed past it on our way out. (Men in trees, that’s what the TV program is called. On a bit late for me).

The weather in Ketchikan was postcard perfect. It didn’t even look like rain.

Some of the things we did today were; Float plane (stood out on pontoons, too); city tour; visited the totems; went to the quilt shop (yep, they’re just like sailors girlfriends, one in every port); road the funicular up to the lodge; shopped and all got back onboard by 2pm.

Lunch was still being served – just needed to top-up a little, then time to get things organized for tomorrow. Lunches can take an hour or more when there’s nothing urgent calling and with everything being done for us, there’s nothing urgent calling!

The Quilters of New Zealand group have the use of the Hudson Room between 4 & 5pm each day. This gives us the opportunity to ‘show & tell’ our purchases and just make sure that there are still 42 of us in the group.

Tonight I was invited to Cocktails with the Captain. La did a! Crow’s Nest, yep, 9th deck, all glass and amazing views. 7.30pm was still very light and there we were plowing our way through the ocean with all these mountains capped in snow around us. Unbelievable!

Entertainment was a string quartet. Champagne flowed. Life is tough.

Then it was downstairs for dinner. Over booking situation, so they took us upstairs. VERY nice! We were last out of the restaurant. Well done girls!

As I write this we are 658 nautical miles from Vancouver, and the Captain’s Log is showing that tomorrow, May 14th 2008, 4.39am sunrise, 9.17pm sunset. That’s a long day.

We arrive in Juneau at 7am and don’t leave till 10pm. Those that don’t have tours planned for tomorrow will meet in the Atrium at 10am and go………, yep, you guessed it, to the quilt store. In the afternoon I’m heading off for a Float Plane ride in the afternoon. Hope the weather holds.

Brenda enjoyed all the birthday wishes today. She must have had Happy Birthday sung to her at least three times, PLUS, she got a birthday card from the Captain. Isn’t that nice?


6 comments:

Andrea H said...

Hi ladies! Isn't it amazing when you think your boat is huge and then you see some of the other ones!! You could really get lost on some of those other ones. Sounds like you are all enjoying the wonderful scenery (wish I was there!).

Jenny - Cath C rang last night to find out how your trip is going. I told her all the goss from the blog (thanks Lesley). She thinks it sounds great. She will definately want to hear more when you get home. Enjoy your trip out of Juneau (lets hope the weather stays sunny)! Its lovely blue sky and a slight frost today, but no amazing mountains to look at....

Love Andrea (who is stuck working!)

George and Jenny said...

Hi.Debs.
It sure sounds like you are having a good time Dogs are good. Pepe chase them around every day then settles down after they have all had something to eat. Mums turn-Hi Deb had a bit of trouble getting into the web site .How are your sea legs hope the seas have settled for you? It all sounds so marvellous,How was the salmon!(Dads envious)Gardner has made a start & looks good so far.Missy is very vocal every day but is doing well.Looking forward to all those photos and dont buy out all the bracelet charms. Lots of love from Jenny & George Fink.

Tricia said...

Mum - Got your email this morning and Dad rang to tell me your news also. I totally GET what you are saying! :) Dad sounds well and was very chatty! Your trip sounds amazing - did I read that right in the blog that you are where Men in Trees is filmed - god I love that show! That's the one I was talking about B4 you left. I can only imagine how lovely it is. Remember to take heaps of pictures I can't wait to see them when we get back. You need the SYZMK system and then you could add them into this blog :). Meg is back at school today as is Leo - both are well and of course miss you. I am glad you have bought Meg books as she is reading them so so quickly and Ms Carlson is so impressed with the books she seems to like. They are kindred those two. Leo had a "bossy" relieving teacher yesterday (his words not ours) and was most relieved that Mr Clarke was back today. By the way it is his top tooth that has come out first??? Meg and Leo will finally catch up with Sophie and Frances on the weekend and hear their stories of France. I have forwarded your last email to family. Joan emailed me today to find out how Maggie is... and to thank me for forwarding the other email you sent. Not much else is news - Roxanne was asking for the blog details (I had forgotten to send them to her) so she may make contact through it.
I check in and read the blog each day to see what you are up to and then share it with the kids - so they know what you're up to. Thanks Lesley for this terrific forum for us to keep up to date with our loved ones.
Love Tricia (Margaret's daughter)

Florence said...

Hello Joan and Marty!
We are thinking of you both, enjoying your messages and those wonderful acounts from Lesley! What a wonderful time you are enjoying! We are envious!
City friend and I are trying to get a message thru, so hope this works!
Another beautiful sunny and warm day, and at least another 3 promised!
Hope you are both well, warm, and your stomachs in one piece!
With love,
Florence

Ursh and Rich said...

I thought I would add some quotes from my mum Sue Haack:

"I am not going to do a lot of shopping while on holiday...."

"I won't need another bag as I have enought stuff and don't need to shop"

"I am sure I won't need to know how to post stuff home" YEAH RIGHT!!

I am sitting in the Brisbane sunshine with a headcold, but pleased to hear you are having a great time and sticking to your goals LOL!!

Jan B said...

Hi Heather and Alison
Of course you knew it has been me. You might hurt your backs with the very heavy suit cases you must have by now. My suggestion is post them back to me in NZ and I will look after them for you until you get home - yeah right!!!. The blogs are just wonderful. I haven't had one for a couple of days and then tonight there is three of them so I did'nt really miss sending a comment. Jan B