Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Higher Seas

Higher Seas!
As you can see, I didn’t get to post this yesterday. Being born in the 1950’s and not the 1960’s I can be somewhat challenged with Computer STUFF.
James, Internet & computer Guru has given me a Wireless card to use. First I had to set-up my very old laptop to do this wonderful activity. SO, last night, after dinner, I came back to my Stateroom (note, not cabin or room – every cabin is a Stateroom), had a shower, got my PJ’s on and settled down to install Wireless. Still can’t do it so am back off to the Explorers Lounge to see James.
Of course, by now I’ve slept – soooooooooooo well, had my breakfast delivered (it’s alright Barney your tea & toast reigns supreme), showered (couldn’t figure out the bath plug, but have conquered that now), am dressed and rearing to go.
The view out the window last night was fab, but this morning to just view ocean, ocean, ocean, but it does make it all a bit more real.
Our current position is 51 21.12’N, 128 51,86’W, seas are ‘gentle’ (this means we are rocking just enough to make the coat hangers in the wardrobe bang against the door). A little weird when you’re standing in the shower, but other than that just ‘rock the baby’ stuff.
Off to have my ‘puter lesson now.
Same day, several hours later –
The Laptop failed the lesson, not the operator. It’s too old to operate wireless properly. On ship you can’t download from a USB. I know that to several of you that’s wigwam talk, but I figure it means Useful Shiny Bit. Just try and prove me wrong.
So, what’s happened today?
Here are just some of the activities that various members of the group have got up to;
How to shop (yes, How to shop – go figure??); Bingo; Morning Tea; Tour of kitchen; Internet lessons; lunch; line dancing (too embarrassed for words on this one, but they said it was a hoot); Trivial Pursuit (lost to a team of Aussies – too embarrassed for words on this one too); pedicure; facial (x2); relaxing wrap in seaweed and foil, then a massage (too good for words); dinner; Broadway Show. I’m sure I’ve missed a few things.
These girls know how to get the best out of every situation.
The weather has ‘increased’. The ship has a less gentle roll. A few tummies have been rearranged. There’s been rain and the temperature was 8 degrees today, probably lower tonight.
Tomorrow when I (may vary for others) wake up we’ll be in Ketchikan. Salmon Capital of Alaska, situated in the Misty Fiords. Story has it that if you’re in Ketchikan for longer than an hour you’ll get rain. 162" is the average annual rainfall.
I’ll post this when we go ashore and add a bit more if I can.
Keep the Comments coming. I print them off and pass them out like telegrams at a 1970’s wedding. Glennys is winning the long distance prize so far. Her son sent greetings from the Swiss Alps.

4 comments:

Bronnie said...

Oh my god I wish I was there with you all..... It sounds so fabulous! I would be in for the facials and shops (especially the shoe shops!) Mum, the boys got your first postcard yesterday. Very excited to get mail from Grandma halfway around the world. :)

Andrea said to tell you all to go to the art auctions, apparently they are well worth it.

Hope your tummies are doing better with the "high seas" now too. Think of what Grandad would say if you got sick!

OK, better get back to work, take care all

LOve Bronnie

John Wolff said...

Sorry to inform you Lesley . . . . but USB stands for UNIVERSAL SERIAL BUS. Invented by HP but it only became Universal after APPLE decided to make it the communication protocol for all things that one likes to attach to a computer. Keyboard, mouse, thumb drive (What's that!!) card reader etc. etc.

John

(Back at the Ranch after delivering the 24 page May NL to the printer.)

Lesley Quilter said...

Arrived Juneau, will post later,

Lesley

John Wolff said...

We received this from Elaine Rawson. Forwarded from God knows where but I'm sure some of your Ladies may enjoy the humour.

Begin story:
I was buying a large bag of Tux (Dog food) at Pack 'N Save and standing in line at the check out , a woman behind me asked if I had a dog.

On impulse, I told her that no, I was starting The Tux Diet again, although I probably shouldn't because I'd ended up in the hospital last time, but that I'd lost 22 kilos before I awakened in an intensive care ward with tubes coming out of most of my orifices and IV's in both arms.

I told her that it was essentially a perfect diet and that the way that it works is to load your pockets with Eukanuba nuggets and simply eat one or two every time you feel hungry & that the food is nutritionally complete so I was going to try it again.

I have to mention here that practically everyone in the line was by now enthralled with my story, particularly a guy who was behind her.

Horrified, she asked if I'd ended up in the hospital in that condition because I had been poisoned. I told her no; it was because I'd been sitting in the street licking my balls and a car hit me.

I thought one guy was going to have a heart attack he was laughing so hard as he staggered out the door.

Stupid b!tch...why else would I buy dog food??